Last updated: January 31, 2019
Crew is a messaging and scheduling platform designed for communication and coordination across organizations. Our mission is to create a safe, productive, and simple messaging environment that makes your work life easier. At Crew we follow a few basic privacy principles:
- You own your data. We don’t sell or share your personal information with others to market their products to you.
- We don’t track you outside of work. If you turn on location, we record when you enter and leave your Organization’s location. We never record anywhere else you go.
What Information Does Crew Collect, Use, and Share?
Crew collects personal information from you in order to provide you the Platform. We collect the following information from you when you use our app and website:
- Personal Information, including your name and telephone number, IP address as described below, and occasionally your email or mailing address. We use this information to facilitate our service and to provide technical support. Occasionally, we also collect email or mailing address to provide you additional services, like sending updates about new features or services or sending you a t-shirt (we love sending our users t-shirts!).
- Third Party Personal Information, including the name and phone number of friends and coworkers you add to Crew. We use this information to invite them to join the Platform.
- Billing Information, collected when users upgrade their Organization to Pro. Crew passes your billing and credit card information to a third-party processor that processes the transaction. Crew does not store or retain billing information provided by users. (Pro users: to update your billing preferences, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message to “Crew Support” within the app. If you subscribed to Pro through Google Play or the iOS app store, see our Terms of Service ] for unsubscribe instructions.)
- Message Content, including messages you send or receive within an Organization or which you send to Crew or Crew Support. When an Organization is created on Crew, a group is created for all members of the Organization. You can also create a new group in your Organization by sending a message to one or more members of the Organization. Your messages to that group are only available to recipients in that group. If you are removed from the Organization, your messages will remain accessible to other members of the group, unless the group had only 2 people, in which case the messages are no longer accessible.
- User-Generated Content, including files you upload through the service such as images, video, and audio. We pass this content to our third-party processor which stores and processes it. If you are concerned about a specific file uploaded or shared through the Crew app, please contact us at email@example.com to review the file for removal.
- Log Data, including your mobile platform, screen resolution, and load time on the app, and operating system, browser type and version, and IP address on our web platform. We use the IP address to understand your general location and the Log Data to improve our app functionality, performance, and user experience.
- Location Information, for the sole purpose of providing Location-Based Group functionality. This feature is optional, and used only to determine when Organization members enter or leave a “geofenced” area, which is a certain radius of a defined point (usually the work place) that the admin sets. This feature approximates location based on information which varies by device, such as GPS, WiFi connectivity, and network information. Users may disable location features through their device settings. Crew does not collect or store specific geolocation data, and we do not track user movement or enhance user data with geolocation information.
How Does Crew use Personal Information?
We use personal information to provide and improve the service. This includes:
- Using your phone number to send you SMS messages so you can authenticate your account.
- Using personal data to research and improve our Platform and track and analyze trends and usage.
- Communicating with you about your use of the Platform and troubleshooting any problems you may have.
When Do We Share your Personal Information?
Crew does not share user personal information with third party marketers or advertising platforms. We only share personal information in the following circumstances:
- Crew will provide an individual opt-out or opt-in choice before we share their data with third parties other than our agents, or before we use it for a purpose other than which it was originally collected or subsequently authorized. To limit the use and disclosure of your personal information, please submit a written request to firstname.lastname@example.org . EU-based users may learn more about their rights under GDPR and how to exercise them in the “GDPR—Rights For EEA Users” section below.
When Do We Share De-Identified Data?
We may share or sell aggregated or de-identified data (data that does not identify you) with partners and the public in a variety of ways. When we provide this information, we perform appropriate procedures so that the data cannot be reasonably linked back to you and we contractually restrict recipients of the data from re-identifying it back to you.
Some web browsers send “Do-Not-Track” (DNT) signals to websites, based on user settings within those browsers. Our Platform does not currently respond to DNT signals due to the lack of industry-wide DNT standards. Crew takes privacy seriously, and will review this policy once standardized DNT technology is made available.
Data Retention Policy
Crew collects only the information it needs for business purposes, and retains that data as long as necessary for those purposes while your account is active. If you have not accessed your account for 6 months, we will consider it inactive and delete the personal data associated with the account.
How to Access or Delete Your Information
You own your data. If you need to access or delete personal information stored on our servers, please send us a message at email@example.com describing your request. Identity verification may be required for security purposes. While some anonymized or aggregated information may not be available, we will review and respond to access or deletion requests within 45 days.
While no service is completely secure, Crew implements industry standard security processes and best practices, including TLS and device-based encryption where available. In the event of a breach, we will notify affected users as required by law.
GDPR – Rights For EEA Users
What Rights Do I Have?
Individuals located in the European Economic Area (EEA) have certain rights in respect of your personal information, including:
- the right of access to your personal data;
- the right to correct or rectify any inaccurate personal data;
- the right to restrict or oppose processing of personal data;
- the right to erase your personal data; and
- the right to personal data portability.
We rely on your consent as a lawful basis for processing personal data during:
- initial collection of personal data through the Platform;
- collection of location information to enable the Location-Based Group feature. Crew does not collect or store specific geolocation data, and we do not track user movement within or outside of a given geofenced area.
We process personal data in order to perform our contract with you.
Additionally, we process personal data based on our “legitimate interests” in providing you the Service as described in the section “How Does Crew use Personal Information”, including:
- To enable the Platform to function as expected;
- To better understand how the Platform is used and to research and improve the Platform; and
- To communicate with you in response to customer service inquiries, to deliver non-promotional, service-related emails, or to administer surveys and questionnaires.
In some cases, Crew may process personal information pursuant to a legal obligation or to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
How May I Exercise My Individual Rights?
Crew users located within the EEA may access and update their personal information as follows:
- Users may access and update personal information through their account settings directly through the Platform;
- Users may exercise their rights to data deletion and data portability by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that Crew may request additional information from you to verify your identity before we disclose any personal or account information.
Is Crew for Children?
The Crew app is designed for professional communication in a workplace environment. Crew does not target users under the age of 13 for our services. If you are concerned Crew may have unknowingly collected information of your child under the age of 13, please contact email@example.com and we will remove the data upon verification.
We strongly believe clear, sensible policies are a matter of trust between ourselves and our users. Crew will notify our users of material changes—any changes which impact your rights—through the Crew app before the policy goes into effect. If you have any questions regarding the policy changes, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Continued use of the Platform after the changes go into effect constitutes consent to the changes.
Privacy Shield Compliance
If you have questions related to Crew’s participation in the Privacy Shield program, please contact us at email@example.com and we will respond within 45 days. For any complaints that we can’t resolve directly, mediation and arbitration are available as described in our Terms of Service. For purposes of enforcing compliance with the Privacy Shield, Crew is subject to the investigatory and enforcement authority of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Crew has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the Privacy Shield Principles to BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, a non-profit alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States and operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers/ for more information and to file a complaint. Please note that if your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under limited circumstances, a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel.
How Do I Contact You?
Need to reach us? No problem.
944 Market Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA 94102